On June 7, 2023, one6G co-organized a Special Session at the EuCNC & 6G Summit 2023. The session, titled 6G enabled Network Applications for the Future of Connected Robotics was organized in partnership with NetWorld Europe’s Enabling Technologies for Future Vertical Ecosystem Transformation Working Group and the 5G-ERA project. The session featured presentations delivered by several academic researchers and industry experts. The event was a great success, having gathered nearly 100 participants.
The session chaired by Prof. Renxi Qiu (University of Bedfordshire, UK) and Dr. Xueli An (Huawei Technologies (representative of one6G and NetworldEurope) covered cloud-native applications, 5G and 6G-enabled communication between robots and cloud-native applications, and orchestration of such applications, among other topics.
The session was designed in a way that allowed the participants to discuss and promote digital skills and the trustworthiness of network applications that need to be implemented for connected robots by steering digital transitions through human-centerd technologies and innovations. It also included lessons learned from various use-cases applied across various vertical sectors and the required physical and virtualized infrastructure to provide the necessary QoS and QoE. Besides, it also discussed how scaling up mobile communication technology enhanced robot deployment in broader domains is feasible via seamlessly integrating network and communication concepts into native robot design and how various communities work together to develop these novel solutions. Another important aspect covered in the session was how the development of solutions developed as part of enhanced and connected robotics can be integrated into the market, what are the benefits for 3rd party users in accessing such resources, what consumers can expect in the immediate future, and how it will impact the society.
In addition to delivering insightful presentations, the team also coordinated the submission of several papers to the conference.
- Roman Juránek, Petr Klepárník, Michal Kapinus and Pavel Smrž “A Study of Real-Time Computer Vision Tasks in 5G-Enhanced Environment ”under the track 6VS – 6G Visions and Sustainability.
- Zdeněk Materna, Michal Kapinus, Petr Dobeš and Pavel Smrž “Communication framework for 5G-enabled Network Applications”under the track AIU – Applications, IoT, Use cases.
- Bartosz Bratus, Renxi Qiu, Radu Popescu, Diwali Diwali and Adrián Lendínez Ibáñez “Network Applications Using PaaS to integrate 5G Technologies with Robotics”.
- Marios Sophocleous, Andreas Karkotis, Loizos Christofi, Tomas Lagos Jenschke, Marcelo Dias de Amorim, Serge Fdida, Saimanoj Katta, and Jose Costa-Requena “Implementation Challenges of Single-Hop, Device-To-Device Communication in 5G Networks”.
Welcome and opening
- Xueli An, Huawei Technologies (representative of one6G and NetworldEurope)
- Renxi Qiu, Scientific Coordinator of 5G Enhanced Robot Autonomy
- Marius Iordache. co-Chair of the 5G-PPP Software Networks Working Group.
Pillar 1: Advanced mobile communication technologies for connected robotics: Telecom industry view
- A joint presentation on 5G network infrastructure and enhanced enablers for robotic applications by Mrs. Christina Lessi (OTE, Greece), Dr. George Agapiou (WINGS, Greece), Dr. Lanfranco Zanzi / Dr. Xi Li (NECLAB, Germany)
- 6G robotic testbeds & pilots by Josef Eichinger (one6G WG4 Chair)
Pillar 2: Network applications for connected robotics: End-users perspectives and emerging use cases
- Presentation on applications of 5G-enabled autonomous robots in the manufacturing, transport, logistics and PPDR sectors by Vittorio Solina (Cal-Tek Manufacturing, Italy), Guillem Garí (RobotNik Automation SLL) and Mr. Matúš Kašuba (BringAuto, Czech Republic)
- Presentation: “Communication framework for 5G-enabled Network Applications” by Michal Kapinus (Brno University of Technology, Czech Republic)
- Presentation: “Cloud-native network application for real-time collision avoidance tasks” by Roman Juranek (Cognitechna s.r.o, Czech Republic) covering a case study of technologies developed, namely middleware and reference framework for the development of Network Applications
- Presentation: “Network Applications Using PaaS to integrate 5G Technologies with Robotics” by Bartosz Bratus (University of Bedfordshire, UK) about the development of a robotic Platform as a Service (PaaS) paradigm that facilitates the management process of the 5G enhanced robot services
- Presentation: “Implementation Challenges of Single-Hop, Device-To-Device Communication in 5G Networks” by Dr. Loizos Christofi (eBOS, Cyprus)
Pillar 3: Official launch of the 5G-ERA network application for the robots’ community (ROS)
- Presentation on integrating Network Applications with Robotics via ROS by Prof. Renxi Qiu and Mr. Adrián Lendínez
- Presentation: “Business opportunities arising from the connected robotics and the standardization potential” by Dr. Andreas Gavrielides (eBOS, Cyprus)
Pillar 4: Conclusion and future vision
- Discussion remarks moderated by Dr. Andreas Gavrielides and Dr. Xueli An
About EuCNC & 6G Summit
With a theme “6G for a Green and Digital Transition,” the 2023 edition of the EuCNC & 6G Summit builds on two successful conferences in the area of telecommunications: the European Conference on Networks and Communications, supported by the European Commission, and the 6G Summit, which originated from the 6G Flagship program in Finland. The conference focuses on all aspects of telecommunications ranging from 5G deployment and mobile IoT to 6G exploration and future communications systems and networks, including experimentation and testbeds, and applications and services. It brings together cutting-edge research and world-renown industries and businesses. In the last years, the event gathered over 1 300 delegates from more than 40 countries and over 70 exhibitors.